Bake the weekend away with this recipe for strawberry cupcakes … with a twist. Not only do these cupcakes include strawberries they also include an exotic passionfruit or two. The blend of the sweet strawberry and tangy passionfruit flavours is sure to be a party in your mouth – a much welcomed weekend treat.
Cooking Time: 20 mins
What You Will need:
- 150ml pot natural yoghurt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 240g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g unsalted butter , melted
For the icing
- 125g cream cheese
- 125g butter, softened
- 350g icing sugar
- 14 Viva strawberries
- ½ passion fruit: seeds & juice
What To Do:
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases and heat oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. In a jug, mix the yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract. Put the dry ingredients, plus a pinch of salt, into a large bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Add the yogurt mix and melted butter and quickly fold in with a spatula or metal spoon, don’t over mix it. Spoon into the cases and bake for 20 minutes or until golden, risen and springy to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl whisk the cream cheese and butter until smooth then add the icing sugar and beat again until you have a smooth stiff icing. Mash 2 strawberries and beat into the icing then add approximately half of the passion fruit seeds and juice, until you have an icing that holds its shape but is easily spreadable. Pipe or spoon the frosting onto the cakes and top each with a strawberry and a drizzle of the remaining passion fruit.
Recipe from vivastrawberries.com