A global dish existing across continents but in varying forms, this recipe, taken from Ella’s Kitchen’s The Cook Book, for turkey and rice packed peppers is a worldly week day treat. A healthy meal option this is a dish for the entire family to enjoy. Add cinnamon for a hint of middle eastern flavour – a great way to teach the kiddies about sweet spices.
Cooking time: 55 mins
What You’ll Need:
- 6 red peppers
- 75 g/2½ oz brown rice
- 350 g/12 oz lean minced turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 400 g/14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 50 g/1¾ oz raisins
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 50 g/1¾ oz mozzarella cheese, finely chopped
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil (use enough water to cover the peppers). Cut the tops from the peppers and discard them, then scoop out the core and seeds.Place the peppers into the boiling water, filling their cavities, and cook for 4 minutes until they begin to soften. Remove the peppers from the water using a slotted spoon (leave the water boiling) and set them aside to drain on kitchen paper, open-end down.
- Add the rice to the water and cook for 20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, place the turkey and onion into a large heavy-based frying pan and cook over a high heat for 8–10 minutes, stirring and breaking up the turkey as much as possible. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, raisins and cinnamon and stir well. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain the cooked rice, then stir into the mince mixture. Place the peppers, open-end up, into an ovenproof dish and fill each with some of the mince mixture. Scatter over the mozzarella, then bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.
Recipe from Ella’s Kitchen The Cook Book published by Hamlyn, buy at www.ellaskitchen.co.uk