Try cooking a twist on the Japanese classic at home, with this quick, healthy and easy miso soup recipe.
Japanese soba noodles, which are made of 100% buckwheat, make this tasty soup a great source of magnesium. Buckwheat is also bursting with rutin, which helps to reduce levels of the ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol. An all round tasty and healthy dish.
Swap the chicken in this recipe for tofu for a healthier and vegetarian option.
Preparation Time: 10minutes
Cooking Time: 15minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 110g Japanese soba noodle (100% buckwheat)
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 50g Miso paste
- 120g boneless, skinless, dark chicken meat cut into strips or Tofu
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp cornflower
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- ½ leek, finely sliced
- 1 handful beansprouts
- 12 pieces canned bamboo shoots
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tbsp low-salt soya sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- Chilli oil to taste
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
What To Do:
- Boil the noodles for 2-3 minutes then drain. Bring the stock to boil.
- Press the miso through a sieve so it’s extra smooth, then whisk into the stock. Cover and remove from the heat. Combine the egg and corn flour, season, then add the chicken pieces to coat.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat. Throw in the garlic for a few seconds then add the chicken, carrot, leek and bean sprout shoots. Stir fry for 4 minutes. Add the soy source and sugar and cook for another minute. Divide noodles between 2 bowls and ladle over the stock, top with the vegetable mix, chilli oil and sesame seeds.
- Serve with LivLife bread.
LivLife bread boasts 50% fewer carbs per 100g, compared to regular seeded, white and brown sliced loaves as the wheat flours are replaced with protein flours, using delicious seeds and grains. LivLife is available in selected Waitrose, Morrisons & Ocado stores across the country. RRP £1.99