What You’ll Need:
For the pan fried salmon
- 2 salmon fillets, skin on, thickly sliced
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper, to season
For the black rice salad
- 125g black rice
- 250ml water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 blood oranges
- 120g baby kale
- 200g pomegranate seeds
- Small bunch spring onions
- Handful walnuts, roughly chopped
- Dried chilli flakes to garnish
- Put the black rice, water and salt in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for around 40 mins until rice is cooked. Drain and cool.
- Stir fry the baby kale with a little rapeseed oil until just tender – about 2 mins
- Slice the green onions into very thin slivers.
- Segment the oranges and reserve any juice.
- Put the rice, kale, pomegranate seeds, spring onions and chopped walnuts into a bowl and combine. Stir in any reserved orange juice.
- Pat the salmon fillets dry using kitchen towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the rapeseed oil in a nonstick frying pan and turn heat to medium-high
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the salmon, skin side down. Press down on the fillets gently with a slotted fish spatula for about 10 seconds.
- Cook for 5-6 mins – the skin should now be crispy and salmon easy to flip. Use the spatula to gently flip the fillets and cook until the flesh is nicely coloured, about 1-2 mins longer. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and rest for 3 mins.
- Divide the salad between two plates and scatter with the blood orange segments.
- Top with the salmon and drizzle with a sauce of your choice. Sprinkle with chilli flakes and serve
Top Tip: Drizzle The Saucy Fish Co.’s brand new product, Saucy No. 5 over your salmon. Made using four potent aphrodisiacs – pomegranate, vanilla, chili and champagne – the sensual sauce promises to raise heartrates and is available free of charge from: shop.thesaucyfishco.com. Recipe courtesy of SupergoldenBakes, using Saucy Fish salmon.