Enjoy a something a little hearty this Monday with this recipe for halloumi and courgette burgers. The perfect option for vegetarians, or for those fancying something a little squeaky, show off your culinary skills by making this delicious homemade burger and serve with fresh green salad.
What You’ll Need:
- 600g courgettes, trimmed and coarsely grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 410g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg
- 150g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 75g halloumi, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, halved and deseeded
- 1 small aubergine
- ciabatta slices, toasted
What To Do:
- Using your hands, squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the courgettes. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a non-stick pan and add the courgettes. Fry over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until the moisture has evaporated.
- Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a further minute. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl and leave to cool.
- Blend the chickpeas and egg in a food processor. Add to the courgettes along with the breadcrumbs and mix well. Fold in the halloumi and season to taste. Shape into 6 burgers. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Cut each pepper half into 3 pieces. Cut the aubergine lengthways into 8 slices. Brush the burgers and vegetables with the remaining oil. Barbecue the aubergines for 3 minutes on each side and the burgers and peppers for 5 minutes on each side until piping hot. Serve stacked on ciabatta slices.
Recipe from Morrisons Magazine