Deliciously light, this simple and understated buttermilk marinated chicken schnitzel recipe is a popular favourite at restaurant Goode & Wright. Now the man behind the menu, Finlay Logan, brings you his famous buttermilk marinated chicken schnitzel recipe to recreate in your own home.
Preparation time: 12 – 24 hours
Cooking time: 20 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 1 bonless skinless corn fed chicken breast
- 100ml buttermilk
- 25g Chilli powder
- 1 star anise
- 1 duck egg yolk
- 100g Panko breadcrumbs
What To Do:
- Flatten the chicken breast between clingfilm using a rolling pin.
- Toast the dry spices in a smoking hot non-stick pan till they release their oil.
- Mix the spices into the buttermilk.
- Add the Duck egg yolk and mix well.
- Marinade the chicken breast in the buttermilk marinade for 12 hours up to 24 hours.
- Remove the chicken breast, draining off most of the buttermilk and dip it in the Panko breadcrumbs, coat the chicken thoroughly with the Panko.
- Pan-fry the chicken in a non-stick pan in foaming butter until golden on both sides.
- Put in a 180c oven for 5 minutes and make sure chicken is firm before serving.
- Serve with a simple mixed leaf salad or fries and lemon wedge.