Cooking time 18-20 minutes
Equipment Large baking tray, parchment, small paintbrush, saucepan
What You’ll Need:
Hot Cross Buns
- 300g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 25g butter, melted
- 150g milk
- 1 egg
- 50g currants
- 50g mixed peel, chopped
- 50g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
What To Do:
Hot Cross Buns
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and mixed spice into a bowl and mix together.
- Melt the butter then add the milk and egg and beat together. Stir this into the flour and mix into a sticky dough.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 100 presses, if possible without adding flour. The dough will be sticky at first then become smooth and pliable.
- Cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place to double in size (about 2 hours).
- Line a large baking tray with parchment.
- Add the currants and mixed peel to the dough and knead until they are well combined.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces, roll each into a ball and place it on a parchment lined oven tray.
- Put the plain flour into a bowl and add just enough water to make a very thick paste.
- Using a paintbrush, dip it into the paste and paint a cross on each bun.
- Leave the buns to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Re-paint the paste cross and leave the buns to rise for a further 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Gently heat the apricot jam, mashing any lumps, and brush it over the buns as they come out of the oven.
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
Doves Farm and FREEE by Doves Farm products are available online at dovesfarm.co.uk and www.freee-foods.co.uk, Ocado, all major retailers, traditional wholesalers, food service, independent health food stores and farm shops.