Equipment: 1kg/2lb bread tin
Temperature: Oven 180˚C/Fan 160˚/350˚F/Gas3
Free from: Gluten, Soya, Wheat, Dairy, Nuts
Vegetarian. When following the suggested ingredient swap, this recipe can be free from egg and suitable for vegans.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 earl grey tea bags
- 200ml boiling water
- 300g mixed sultanas, raisins, prunes, dates, apricots
- 200g FREEE Plain White Flour
- 2 tsp FREEE Baking Powder
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 1 egg (or 1tbsp FREEE Chickpea Flour + 2tbsp water)
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1/2 orange rind and juice
What To Do:
- Put the tea bags into a jug, add the boiling water and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Line a 1kg/2lb loaf / bread tin with parchment and pre-heat the oven.
- Weigh the dried fruits into another bowl. If using prunes, dates or apricots cut these into quarters. Pour the tea into the bowl and leave until completely cold.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into another bowl, add the sugar and mix together.
- Add the egg (or chickpea flour + water), oil, grated orange rind and juice and beat well.
- Discard the tea bags and stir the soaked fruit and liquid into the bowl.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 70-75 minutes.
- Gently turn out the cake onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
In time for Allergy Awareness Week (23rd – 29th April) FREEE by Doves Farm have shared four of their favourite recipes for free from cakes and bakes.