Make the most of Easter and family time this week with this basic biscuit recipe. Fun and easy to make; these Easter egg inspired treats will allow the family to put their icing skills to good use.
After baking, keep these biscuits in a sealed tin and enjoy as a tasty snack for 1-2 weeks.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
What you’ll need:
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 400g plain flour
- To decorate
- 250g royal icing sugar
- assorted food colourings
What to do:
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl with the caster sugar. Using a wooden spoon beat until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the egg until well mixed, then gradually add the flour. Use your hands to bring the mixture together to a stiff dough. Gather into a ball and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to Gas 4, 180°C, fan160°C. Roll out the dough on a work surface lightly dusted with flour until it’s the thickness of a £1 coin. Using an oval cutter (or a cardboard egg-shaped template), cut out egg-shaped biscuits, using rolled out trimmings to make more. Place on baking trays and bake in the oven for 6-10 minutes, depending on size, until just golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the baking tray to cool completely.
- To decorate, make up the icing as directed on the packet. Divide between 3-4 bowls adding a little food colouring to each bowl. Place the mixture into piping bags and decorate biscuits as liked – kids may like to use sprinkles or sweets too.
Recipe by Tesco