Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped (175g)
- 450g sausagemeat
- 50g dried cranberries
- 100g Walnut Pieces, roughly chopped
- 100g whole chestnuts, chopped
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 500g pack puff pastry
- 1 medium egg, beaten
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes until golden, allow to cool slightly then mix into the sausagemeat with the cranberries, 75g roughly chopped walnuts, chestnuts, sage and breadcrumbs, season well.
- Divide the pastry into 3 and roll each into a 34 x 15cm rectangle. Place a third of the filling in a sausage shape along the long length of each pastry. Brush one of the edges of pastry with egg and roll up to seal in the filling. Brush the rolls all over with the egg. Finely chop the remaining walnuts and roll the logs in to evenly coat.
- Cut each roll into 8 sausage rolls and place on 2 large baking trays, pastry seal side down. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
These are great for a buffet or snack at Christmas time. Try using the filling as a stuffing for roast turkey, pork or chicken, or make larger sausage rolls for a supper dish.