Songkran is the annual festival which takes place over three days during the traditional Thai New Year, this year falling on Friday 13 – Sunday 15 April 2018. Throughout Thailand there are celebrations, festivities and plenty of food; all culminating in a momentous country-wide water fight!
In the run up to Songkran, Sanguan Parr, Head Chef at Nipa Thai in London, has shared her recipe for Massaman Gai (Yellow Chicken Curry). A popular but classic recipe from the Southern region of Thailand, the curry is simple to make but guaranteed to impress – the perfect dish for your Songkran celebrations!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 600ml Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp Roasted Peanuts
- 5 Small Onions; sliced
- 4 Medium Potatoes; cubed
- 3 tbsp Massaman Curry Paste
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 3 tbsp Palm Sugar
- 3 tbsp Tamarind Juice
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 piece Roasted Cinnamon; 1cm long
- 5 Roasted Cardamom Pods
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
What To Do:
- Cut the chicken into chunks, around 2 inches in length.
- In a wok, heat the vegetable oil, curry paste and 200ml of coconut milk. Keep stirring over a low heat until fragrant.
- Add the chicken to the wok, turning frequently so all the meat is covered in sauce.
- Pour in the remaining 400ml of coconut milk and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed potatoes, roasted peanuts, onions, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind juice, bay leaves, cardamom and cinnamon. Keep over a low heat to simmer until all the ingredients are tender.
- Remove from the heat and serve with steamed white rice.
Throughout Songkran 2018, Nipa Thai will be offering its traditional menu. Nipa Thai is open from 5pm-10.30pm, Monday-Sunday.