What You’ll Need:
- 4 smoked haddock fillets
- 300g basmati rice
- 300ml milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 chilli, cut into fine slices
- 50g peas
- Handful torn up parsley
- Vegetable oil
For the cheddar and chive sauce:
- 60ml of milk
- 60 ml of cream
- 1 tbsp. of butter
- 1 tbsp. of flour
- 1 egg yolk
- A tsp. of chives
- A sprinkling of cinnamon
- 1 cup of finely grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to season
What To Do:
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the onion, frying for 5 mins. Add the turmeric and bay leaves, and fry for a further 2 mins
- Add rice and 600ml of water to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cover for 10 mins. Add in peas, and cook for afurther 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, put the smoked haddock and bay leaves in a frying pan. Cover with the milk, and poach for 10 mins. Remove the haddock fillets from milk and cut into small pieces.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add in the four eggs, then reduce to a simmer for 5 mins. Cool by plunging into cold water.
- To make your sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour, whisking for 1 min. Combine the milk and cream, and add to the saucepan slowly, whisking until thick. Add in an egg yolk and cook for 30 seconds, on low heat.
- Next, add in the cheese to the sauce mixture and stir. Add the cinnamon and season. Remove from the heat.
- Once sauce is completed, peel the boiled eggs and cut into quarters. Combine the fish, eggs, rice and peas together. Add the sliced chilli and drizzle the cheddar and chive sauce over the top. Sprinkle a little parsley before serving.