Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20-25 minutes
Makes: 6 portions
Suitable for freezing
What You’ll Need:
- 40g (1½oz) butter or dairy-free spread
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp flour or gluten-free flour or 1 tbsp cornflour
- 150ml (5floz) fish stock
- 200ml (7floz) whole milk or a suitable dairy-free formula milk for under 12 months or almond milk for over 12 months
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped dill
- 25g (¾oz) Parmesan cheese or dairy-free alternative, grated
- 450g (1lb) mixed salmon and cod, diced
- 500g (1lb 2oz) white potato, peeled and diced
- 100g (3½oz) carrot, chopped
- A knob of butter or dairy-free spread
- 1 tbsp whole milk or a suitable dairy-free formula milk for under 12 months or almond milk for over 12 months
- 30g (1oz) Parmesan cheese or dairy-free alternative, grated
What To Do:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes, then add the vinegar and stir until evaporated. Add the flour. If using cornflour, see step 2.
- Add the fish stock and milk, bring up to the boil and whisk until thickened. If using cornflour, mix it with 2 tablespoons of cold water and then add to the milk, and stir until thickened.
- Add the tomatoes, dill, and Parmesan. Stir, then add the fish. Spoon into six ramekins about 10cm (4in) diameter.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (fan 180ºC), gas 6.
- Cook the potatoes and carrot in a pan of boiling water until soft. Drain and mash with the butter, milk, and cheese. Spread on top of the pies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes until bubbling. Allow to cool down before serving.
- Defrost overnight in the fridge or for several hours at room temperature. Reheat in an oven preheated to 180ºC (fan 160ºC), gas 4 for 15 minutes.
Recipes taken from Weaning by Annabel Karmel, published by DK priced £12.99. Available from all good bookstores. www.dk.com