Suitable from 9 months
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
Makes: 8 croquettes
Suitable for freezing
What You’ll Need:
- 1 small sweet potato
- 100g (3½ oz) cooked chicken, diced
- 1 tsp chopped thyme leaves
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1–2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 40g (1½oz) panko breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs – half in the mixture and half to coat
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, for frying
- Salt (for over 12 months) and freshly ground black pepper
What To Do:
- Prick the sweet potato. Bake in the microwave for 10 minutes until soft. Alternatively, cook the sweet potato in a preheated oven to 180°C (fan 160°C), gas 4 for 30 minutes.
- Leave the potato to cool, then scoop out the cold flesh – you will need about 100g (3½oz).
- Place the potato in a bowl. Add the chicken, thyme, onions, sauces, 20g (¾oz) breadcrumbs, and the oil, and mix together. Lightly season, depending on your baby’s age, and shape into eight little croquettes. Roll in the remaining 20g (¾oz) breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the croquettes and fry for about 5 minutes, until golden and crisp on all sides. Drain on kitchen paper and leave to cool before serving.
- When needed, thaw overnight in the fridge or leave out for a few hours at room temperature. Reheat in an oven preheated to 180°C (fan 160°C), gas 4 for 10–12 minutes.
Recipes taken from Weaning by Annabel Karmel, published by DK priced £12.99. Available from all good bookstores. www.dk.com