What You’ll Need:
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- handful of fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
- ½ tsp smoked hot paprika
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 250g beef mince
- 200g ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 100ml beef stock
- 500g all butter shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, small and whisked
What To Do:
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion, carrot and peppers for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, thyme and paprika and cook for a minute more then increase the heat and add the beef.
- Break up with a spoon and fry till browned all over. Add the tomatoes and stock and plenty of seasoning and bubble together for 10-15 minutes. Then, spread out over the base of a clean baking sheet or large dish to cool quickly.
- Meanwhile, divide the pastry into 8 even sized pieces and roll into balls. Roll out each ball of pastry into a disc shape and use a cutter or small plate to cut them into 16cm-diameter circles. Discard any trimmings.
- Heat the oven to 200c. fan 180c. gas 6.
- Spoon a dollop of the mixture into the centre of a pastry circle then brush the edges with a little water and fold them in half to enclose the filling in a semi circle. Press the edges to seal and crimp with your fingers or the prongs of a fork.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling. Once you have them all lined up on your baking sheet, brush with egg glaze and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe by José Pizarro at sainsburys.co.uk