As parents up and down the country prepare for the kids going back to school, a new study by Flora reveals the struggle families face every morning, with a staggering 65 percent admitting that their child often skips breakfast entirely, with on average 60 breakfasts missed a year – nearly a third of the entire school year.
As the NHS recommends children eat three meals and two healthy snack a day, the pressure on parents to send their children off to school with a nutritious and healthy meal is causing real worries for busy mums and dads, with 72 percent driven to a state of anxiety about their child’s breakfast habits and a fifth admitting their child’s diet leaves them feeling like a bad parent. Six percent also admitted to actually losing sleep worrying about their child’s intake of healthy food.
Little ones refusing to eat their breakfast is not for want of trying from their mums and dads, with arguments about the first meal of the day between parents and their kids resulting in them having to rush to get to school on time at least five days every month.
The difference from regular pancakes is that these ones bubble and rise a little in the pan – but they are still wonderfully simple to make. Follow our delicious easy American pancake recipe and serve them with Flora Original, syrup and fruit, or even crispy bacon for a special treat! You will love everything about these pancakes. Their lovely round shape and amazing light texture will make you hungry as soon as you see them.
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 4 mins
What You’ll Need:
- 125 g (4.5 oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 medium egg
- 250 ml (8fl oz) milk
- 2 tbsp Flora Buttery
- In a medium mixing bowl sift all of the dry ingredients together. Make a well in the middle and set aside.
- In a separate bowl or jug, mix the wet ingredients and whisk together until they are well combined.
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix and stir until just moistened. The mixture will be lumpy but that’s fine.
- Heat a frying pan and add a little Flora Cuisine. Once it’s hot, drop ladles of the mix onto the pan. Once they are bubbly on the top and the edges appear dry (after about 2 minutes), it’s time to turn them.
- Cook for a further 2 mins. Serve immediately with a dollop of Flora Buttery and maple or golden syrup.
Now that you know how to make American pancakes to perfection, you can adapt the recipe and top your next ones with any toppings of your choice depending on your mood. You can also come up with a fun family activity and let the little ones explore their creativity by decorating their own American pancakes!