A heart-warming winter dessert with a tropical twist that will have all the family smiling.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40-45 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 4 pears, peeled and cored
- 1tbsp dark brown sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Zespri SunGold kiwis, peeled
- 200g plain flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g chilled butter, cubed
- Optional: Mixed nuts and seeds
What To Do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Roughly chop the pears and add to a saucepan with the dark brown sugar, lemon juice, ground ginger and ground cinnamon. Add a splash of water to the pan and heat gently.
- Over a low heat, heat the mixture until it starts to bubble, the sugar has dissolved, and the pears have softened. If needed add a splash of water to make sure the mixture does not burn.
- Roughly chop the Zespri SunGold kiwis and add to the pan, stirring to coat them in all the sticky sugary mix.
- Take off the heat and pour into a baking dish.
- Make the crumble topping: In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and caster sugar. Add the cubed butter and using the tips of your fingers, rub the butter through the flour mix to form a breadcrumb like consistency. Be careful not to overwork it or the crumble will become heavy.
- If using, roughly chop a selection of mixed nuts and seeds and stir through the crumble mix.
- Spoon the crumble mix onto the top of the baking dish and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve warm with ice cream, cream or custard.