Rhythm108’s take on the classic French Madeleines are brilliant for families to bake with children and also serve as the perfect snack that is both tasty and nourishing which is brilliant when you are trying to cope with working from home & perhaps home schooling as well.
Baking is such a hugely creative, fun and productive especially when everything is uncertain, baking is a certainty. If you follow the instructions and measurements – it will work. There is something hugely comforting in the simplicity and magic of it.
A small spongey shell-shaped cake – we thought it was time to share our take on this French classic! We make ours with coconut flower sugar to give a slightly darker colour and add lemon to make it light, fluffy and zesty. Traditionally they are baked in a madeleine tin which gives it the shell-like shape – we also dipped ours in melted dark chocolate and crushed pistachios for extra flavour and crunch!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Rest Time: 2- 4 hours
Baking Time: 8 – 10 minutes
Makes: 10 madeleines
What You’ll Need:
- 60g oat flour
- 50g coconut flower sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 55g almond milk
- 35g coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp lemon oil
- ½ tsp lemon zest powder -or sub lemon oil and powder with zest and juice of 1 fresh lemon
What To Do:
- Method Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- Melt the coconut oil and add to dry ingredients along with the almond milk and lemon oil. Stir well.
- Cover and leave to rest in the fridge for 2 hours. The mix will be quite hard and crumbly
- Preheat the oven to 230°C fan.
- Grease a madeleine tin with coconut oil and spread a tablespoon of mixture into each mould.
- Once the oven has reached the correct temperature bake the madeleines for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 190°C for a further 4-6 minutes.
- Keep an eye on them as depending on your oven they can brown easily!
- Once cooled dip in melted chocolate (we used 67% cocoa solids, vegan and sweetened with coconut flower sugar) and sprinkle with crushed pistachios.