Light, fluffy and with a zesty touch, this lemon madeira cake makes the perfect teatime treat.
Makes: 8-10 slices
What You’ll Need:
- 150g (5oz) butter
- 150g (5oz) castor sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g (7oz) plain sponge flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- grated rind of 1 un-waxed lemon
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Prepare a six-inch diameter, deep cake tin
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Break the eggs into a bowl or large cup and beat lightly, before adding little by little to the butter/sugar mix, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour little by little to the cake mix, folding or pulsing it in. Add the lemon rind and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 60-70 minutes until firm to the touch or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let it cool for a couple of minutes, then turn out on to the rack and leave until completely cold.
From Jane Asher’s Beautiful Baking, Special Edition for Poundland, published by Simon & Schuster UK Ltd