This luxury hotel, spa and golf resort is situated less than an hour away from London in the leafy Hertfordshire countryside.
From arrival, you are immediately impressed by the vast, grand landscape before you and the immaculate 18-hole championship golf course which engulfs you. Amongst 300 acres of flawlessly manicured gardens lie contemporary sculptures juxtaposed amongst the Formal Gardens. Landscape artist Michael Balston is responsible for creating an 18th century design in the gardens, creating a peaceful and artistic atmosphere in the grounds in which to walk. With 217 rooms and suites all complete with stunning views, the interior of the hotel is opulent and traditional with homely touches.
The Grove was built in the 1500’s and has since provided many historical purposes. Today, the hotel exudes a perfectly balanced symbiotic mood of both old and new. At The Grove, you are in a bubble of excitement filled with an array of activities on offer. Within the Walled Garden, play tennis or opt for croquet followed by a hot summer’s day dip in the outdoor swimming pool. Adding to the surreal world of The Grove, inside lays a manmade beach complete with Volleyball, sand and deck chairs.
There is an array of amenities to keep children occupied throughout your stay. In the Potting Shed, a table tennis and pool table will keep tweens and older kids entertained for hours. Or you can borrow a bike and explore the woodlands on the Grove Trail and canal path.
The award-winning Sequoia Spa allows guests to indulge, unwind and distress. Pamper yourself with an ESPA treatment whilst the other half is practicing his stroke on the golf course where Tiger Woods won the 2006’s Championships. Be rest assured that whilst you are being pampered, so are your kids at Anouska’s Kids Club. OFSTED registered, Anouska’s provides children from three months to 11 years with quality care to guests of the hotel with infants. Anouska’s make your stay as stress free as possible and cater for every baby’s needs. The Kids Club is equipped with impressive facilities; nap rooms, bottle preparation areas and changing rooms. Professional carers tailor structured entertainment programmes to suit the individual child, their age and their needs. The children have their own swimming pool whilst older children can chill in the Teen Zone with Playstation, Wii, X-Box and Cinema. The Kids’ Sculpture Workshops (2 June, 7 July, 11 August) with sculptor Stephen Charlton offers little guests to get messy whilst making animal sculptures, which they can take home.
With three restaurants to choose from, you certainly won’t get bored eating at the hotel every night. For couples, Colettes offers a fine-dining romantic experience and for golfers, The Stables provides hearty home cooked dishes. StyleNest visited The Grove’s Glasshouse, a buffet-style restaurant overlooking the Formal Gardens. Here you can indulge in a selection of different cuisines from traditional British Roast to Thai stir-fry. Immaculately presented, the Glasshouse is definitely an experience as you get to indulge delectable dishes whilst the chefs cook before you. With children’s menus on offer, children will love the chocolate fountain for dessert at The Glasshouse. The night does not need to end there, for après dinner drinks, lounge in one of the hotel’s three bars for a nightcap and game of backgammon or cards.
The Grove offers a harmonious balance of country and city with urban chic undertones. The Grade II listed mansion and manicured gardens offers both indoor and outdoor entertainment for both adults and children with freedom to relax and do nothing at all. Nature trails or woodland walks, the secured environment offers a safe place for children to play in. Just 18 miles from the West End, the private parkland provides a magical experience for families or couples looking for a cosmopolitan haven in the country.
Need to Know:
- Rooms 217 guestrooms and suites with balconies and terraces.
- Rates Rooms from £310 including breakfast and VAT per room per night with a 25% discount for children under 12 staying in an interconnecting room
- Facilities Tennis court, gardens, nature trails, croquet lawn, driving range, woodland walks, fitness studio, Spa, outdoor and indoor swimming pool, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: plasma TV, some with working fireplaces, The White Company toiletries.
- Restaurants Three hotel restaurants and three bars.
- Upon Arrival Valet parking, Check in from 2pm. Check out 12 noon.
- Children Anouska’s Kids Club, Babysitting, Kids Sculpture Workshops, Outdoor Play Areas, DVD library, children’s menu.
- Last orders at The Glasshouse Restaurant Breakfast (£25pp) weekdays 7.00am – 10am, weekends 7.30am – 10.30am. Lunch (£33-£49) Monday – Saturday 12.30pm-2.00pm, Sundays 12.30pm – 3.00pm. Dinner (£39-£49) Monday – Thursday 7.00pm-9.30pm, Fridays 7.00pm – 10.00pm, Saturdays 6.30pm-10.00pm, Sundays 7.30pm – 9.30pm.
- Location 18 miles from London, Chandler’s Cross, Hertfordshire WD3 4TG