A wonderfully warming dessert perfect for the festive season. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
What You’ll need:
- 4 Pink Lady® apples, unpeeled
- 100g currants
- 50g dried cranberries
- 1tbsp pink peppercorns
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 50g mixed candied peel
- 50ml Cointreau
- 100ml white wine, apple juice or water
What to do:
1. Heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
2. Pour boiling water over the currants, cranberries and pink peppercorns to just cover, and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
3. Mix the brown sugar and mixed candied peel together with the Cointreau.
4. Drain the currants and add to the sugar mixture, stirring well.
5. Core the apples and use the tip of a sharp knife to cut around the diameter of each apple to prevent the skins from bursting.
6. Place in an ovenproof dish, and fill each one to overflowing with the fruit mixture.
7. Add the wine, water or juice to the dish and bake for 35 minutes or until tender.
8. When serving, drizzle with the sweet juices left behind, making sure a few pink peppercorns are visible on top.
Pink peppercorns add a little heat but not too much, and the use of peppercorns with sweet desserts goes back to ancient Roman times!
If you don’t have pink peppercorns (available from most supermarket spice shelves), scatter a little freshly ground black pepper over the apples just before serving.
Recipe from Pinkladyapples.co.uk