Salmon with Chilli, Vermouth and Ginger Sauce
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 1.3kg (3 lbs) salmon or other round fish, eg. bream, red snapper or cod, cleaned
- 55g (2 oz) Bertolli 59% vegetable fat spread
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 55g (2 oz) button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh root ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 300ml (½ pint) fish stock
- 2 fresh chillies, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 3 tablespoons dry Vermouth
- Salt and black pepper
- For the garnish:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 lettuce heart, finely shredded
- Hot new potatoes, to serve
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 170°C fan oven, Gas mark 5. Grease an ovenproof dish large enough to hold the fish. Make several diagonal cuts on one side of the fish.
- Heat half of the Bertolli gently saute the onion, garlic, mushrooms and ginger for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the ground coriander and chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling into the fish cavity, then lift into the dish. Pour in enough stock to cover the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle the chillies over, then cover and bake for 30-40 minutes, basting from time to time. Remove the cover for the last 10 minutes.
- Carefully lift the fish on to a serving dish and keep hot. Tip the cooking juices into a pan.
- In a small bowl blend the cornflour and Vermouth in a cup and stir into the cooking juices. Pour in the stock. Bring to the boil and cook gently for 3-4 minutes or until thickened, stirring all the time. Taste for seasoning and pour into a sauce boat.
- Make the garnish. Heat the remaining Bertolli in a small pan and saute the sliced garlic and lettuce for 2-3 minutes. Lift the cooked fish onto a serving plate, spoon the garnish alongside and serve with new potatoes.
Recipe from Bertolli.co.uk.