Beef Stew With Cheesy Dumplings
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 500g diced casserole beef, rinsed and dried
- 2 large leeks, finely sliced
- 300g chantarey carrots, peeled and halved
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500g ready-made pouch beef stock
- splash of red wine, optional
For the dumplings:
- 175g self-raising flour, sieve
- 75g shredded suet
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 75g Cathedral City mature cheese
- good pinch salt and pepper
- water, to mix
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (150°C fan, 300°F, Gas 3)
- Heat the oil in a hob and oven proof casserole and cook the beef in batches until evenly browned. Remove from the pan and set to one side.
- Add the leeks to the pan and cook until softened. Sprinkle over the flour stirring until thickened. Stir in the stock and the red wine, if using. Return the beef to the casserole and add the carrots. Cover with a well fitting lid and cook in the preheated oven for 2 hours 10 minutes
- To make the dumplings, mix together the flour, parsley and cheese, salt and pepper. Add enough water to make a soft but not sticky dough, about 3 tbsp. Lightly flour your hands and roll the dough into eight small balls. Add to the stew and cook for a further 15-20 minutes. Serve with green cabbage.
Recipe from Cathedral City Cheese.