The crispy, delicious strips of chilli beef together with refreshing lime and coriander rice makes a mouth-watering meal that is not only low in saturated fat but also counts as one of your five-a-day.
Preparation & Cooking Times
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 16 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 300g frying steak, sliced into thin strips
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 5 tbsp cornflour (50g)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce and a splash for the sauce
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips (325g)
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 150ml sweet chilli sauce
- 1/3 large pot growing coriander, roughly chopped (35g)
- 200g basmati rice
- 2/3 large pot growing coriander, roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Freshly ground black pepper
What To Do:
- Combine the eggs, soy sauce and cornflour and then add beef strips and mix together.
- Heat the oil in a pan and drop the beef strips in, cook for 5-7 minutes until crispy – this may need to be done in two batches. Remove beef from the pan and set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat a small amount of oil and add the garlic. Cook until toasted.
- Add the carrots, spring onion, chilli, ginger and a splash of soy sauce. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes then add the chilli sauce and the beef and cook for a few minutes to warm through. Finish with chopped coriander and set aside.
- Meanwhile, soak the rice in cold water for approximately 15-20 minutes then rinse. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the rice. Keep the water on a gentle rolling boil and check after 5-7 minutes. When the rice is just cooked carefully drain the rice then quickly replace the lid. Cover the pan with a tea towel and leave to sit for five minutes.
- Remove the lid and gently fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in the chopped coriander, lime zest and juice and season with black pepper.
- Serve the beef along with the rice in large dishes with wedges of lime.