Witches’ Ribs With Vampire Toast
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 60 minutes
What You’ll Need:
For the ribs:
- 55 ml soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oik
- 50g (2oz) Lyle’s Trick or Treacle
- 11/2 rounded tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 x 500g pork loin rack of ribs
For the toasts:
- 4 slices white sliced bread
- vegetable oil, for frying
What To Do:
- Combine the soy, hoisin and chilli sauces with the oil, treacle, sugar and garlic in a shallow non-metallic tray. Add the pork ribs and turn them in the marinade to coat. Set aside for at least 1 hour, or overnight, covered in the fridge. Turn occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 170c/150c Fan, 300F, Gas Mark 3. Half fill the roasting tin with cold water and place it on bottom shelf of the oven. Arrange the ribs directly on the middle shelf of the oven, sitting above the pan of water. Transfer the remainder of the marinade into a small bowl.
- Roast the ribs for 1 hour , generously brushing them every 15 minutes with the marinade. After 30 minutes turn the ribs over and continue basting as before. Watch carefully in the last 10 minutes to ensure they don’t caramelise too much.
- Whilst the ribs are cooking, stamp out shapes in the bread using some Halloween cutters. Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat then add the bread and quickly fry for 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Remove to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain and sprinkle with salt. Remove the ribs from the oven, slice on a chopping board and serve with the toasts.
Recipe from TateandLyle.com