Roast Beef With Lemon And Anchonvy Butter
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Avg. cooking time for 3lb: 1 hour 40 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean topside or top rump joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Anchovy and Lemon Butter:
- 100g/4oz unsalted butter, softened
- ½ x 50g can anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 75ml/5tbsp freshly chopped lemon thyme leaves
For the Gravy:
- 15ml/1tbsp plain flour
- 600ml/1pint good, hot beef stock
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- To prepare the butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together. Place the joint on a chopping board, score the skin, season and spread generously all over with the butter.
- Put any remaining butter on a large piece of cling film or foil, mould into a sausage shape and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Place the joint on a rack in a roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any rich meat juices. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Remove from the oven, cover and leave to rest on a large plate for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, make the gravy; spoon off any excess fat from the roasting tin and discard. Place the roasting tin over a medium heat and sprinkle over the flour. Stir well with a small whisk or spoon, add a little stock and stir again, scraping the base of the pan to release any rich, beefy sediment.
- Add the remaining stock and any meat juices from the plate. Adjust the seasoning if required and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until reduced to a well-flavoured gravy. Strain before serving.
- Garnish the beef with watercress leaves and serve with seasonal vegetables and the gravy.
Recipe from Simplybeefandlamb.co.uk