A delicious lamb roast topped with a garlic and herb butter. The perfect dish for family get togethers and special occasions.
Preparation Time – 10 Mins
Cooking Times: medium – 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes / Well done – 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean whole or carvery lamb leg joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Herb Butter:
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed or 5-10ml/1-2tsp garlic puree
- 100g/4oz unsalted butter, softened
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped chives
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped tarragon
- 15ml/1tbsp plain flour
- 450ml/¾pint good, hot lamb stock
- 150ml/¼pint sweet cider
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- To prepare the garlic and herb butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together. Place the joint on a chopping board, score the skin, season and spread generously all over. Wrap any remaining butter in cling film or foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Place the joint on a rack in a roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any rich meat juices. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Remove from the oven; cover and leave to rest on a large plate for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, make the gravy; spoon off any excess fat from the roasting tin and discard. Place the roasting tin over a medium heat and sprinkle over the flour. Stir well with a small whisk or spoon, add a little stock and stir again, scraping the base of the pan to release any rich sediment.
- Add the remaining stock, cider and any meat juices from the plate. Adjust the seasoning if required and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until reduced to a well-flavoured gravy. Strain before serving.
- Serve the lamb with seasonal vegetables and the gravy.
Recipe from Simplybeefandlamb.co.uk.