Rich, decadent and luxurious – a must for all chocoholics.
Preparation Time: 2 Hours 30 mins
Cooking Time: 30-40 mins
What You Need:
For the pastry:
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- pinch of salt
- 150g butter
- 75g icing sugar
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 1 free-range egg
For the filling:
- 600g milk chocolate (over 35% cocoa)
- 3 free-range eggs
- 450ml single cream
- 150ml whole milk
What To Do:
1. For the pastry, rub together the flour, salt and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, then beat together the egg yolk and whole egg and slowly add these, mixing until the pastry forms a ball. Wrap tightly in cling film and refrigerate for two hours.
2. Preheat the oven down to 170C/ gas mark 3.
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 2mm thickness. Use to line a 28cm tart ring placed on a baking sheet. Rest the lined tart ring in the fridge for 20mins.
4. Line the tart ring with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans to keep the base’s shape, and bake blind for about 20 minutes. Remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans and return to the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the pastry is starting to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven, brush with egg yolk and allow to cool.
5. Turn the oven down to 130C/gas mark 1.
6. For the filling, bring the cream and milk to the boil and pour over the chocolate and stir until chocolate and cream are mixed. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Beat the eggs then add to the chocolate and mix well.
7. Fill the pastry case with the chocolate filling. Carefully place in the middle of the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the filling appears set but not too firm. Remove from the oven and cover the surface liberally with grated nutmeg.
8. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
Recipe by Andy Bates.
Watch cheeky UK chef Andy Bates delve into the history of Britain’s most famous dishes and give them a modern ‘street food’ interpretation. Andy Bates Street Feasts will be airing weekdays, at 12.30pm & 6.30pm from Monday 26th September on Food Network UK, Sky Channel 262/263 (Freesat 405/406) and now FREEVIEW channel 49.